So how do you attract and retain the perfect staff? Simple. Follow these 5 tips.
1. Benefits and compensation. It goes without saying, if you aren’t offering competitive employment packages that feature good pay and quality benefits, chances are you won’t get the best people. Offering these types of things might seem expensive at first, but the investment will pay off in the long run.
2. Ensure staff compatibility. A lot of small businesses use something called a team dynamics matrix; sometimes on paper, sometimes in a spreadsheet. Essentially, it’s a form that lists all of your employee’s names, and a set of skills associated with the job. Use this to assess your external requirements, and your internal needs in each department you lack employees.
3. Encourage respect among managers. Be sure that everyone on your team is courteous and respectful… completely across the board. Ensure that your managers and supervisors are respectful to subordinates and are leading by example. It’s like the old saying, “you’ll attract more flies with honey than your will with vinegar.”
4. Understanding and patience leads to a positive image. Not only will this pair make your current employees happy, but word of mouth travels fast. Want to attract a quality staff? Make sure that your business brand is painted in a positive light. Image is everything from the outside perspective.
5. Rewards and incentives are like gold. We’re not talking about cash, rather, things with a low cost but with a high impact. Consider offering things like coupons to popular restaurants in your area, a free pizza, car wash vouchers for a job well done, or even a paid day off. A thoughtful incentive program will have more impact than cash, so don’t be afraid to go all out.
Remember, making everyone happy all of the time is never going to happen. But with the right attitude, and a little bit of extra effort, you’ll finally have the right staff in place, and people waiting in the wing.
For more information on how we can help you, please contact us any time.